Millford, built in 1839-41, is considered by many to be the finest example of Greek Revival residential architecture in America. The grandeur of the house, located in such a remote section of rural South Carolina, seems to come as a surprise to first-time visitors, who must drive over miles of dirt roads and through moss-draped forests to reach the house. Suddenly the house appears out of nowhere, in all its classical glory – six massive fluted Corinthian columns, 16-foot ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, a domed rotunda enclosing a spectacular circular staircase – all the features to impress that are inherent in Greek Revival architecture. Read more about the architecture.
Millford was built for John Laurence Manning and his wife, Susan Frances Hampton, on inherited land in an area called “The High Hills of Santee”. According to legend, Manning, in his youth, selected the land himself when his grandfather offered for him to choose a site from the family lands for a future home. Manning, descending from successful landholders and politicians, and Hampton, descending from prosperous planters, spared no expenses in building and furnishing the home