View of Millford’s grand, 20-foot-wide Entrance Hall, which contains Phyfe & Son furniture, family portraits, marble busts, and bronze lanterns all original to the house.
The double parlors at Millford, separated by a screen of Corinthian columns, comprise one of America’s handsomest suites of rooms. Almost all of the furnishings shown here were commissioned by the Mannings from “D. Phyfe & Son,” 1840-42.
Almost everything in this dining room, which is circular at one end, is original, including the Mannings’ dining table, fourteen armchairs, two serving tables, and a wine cellarette – all documented Duncan Phyfe.
Shot of the Millford Library with views of the terracotta bust of Benjamin Franklin after Jean-Antoine Houdon (Nineteenth Century) and the gilt with crystal trim Eight-Light Crystal Chandelier by Karl Friedrich Schinkel (circa 1830).
A view from the second floor landing to a circular trompe l’oeil painted floor by Robert Jackson.
Detail of the carved scroll at the base of Millford’s elegant circular staircase.
This Grecian bedstead and matching nightstand, is the most recent Phyfe piece to return to Millford. Constructed of expensive rosewood, this bed was likely made for the master bedroom. The nightstand, one of two ordered for Millford, served a practical purpose: it provided a private space to store the bedroom’s chamber pot.
View of recently installed red bedroom at Milllford, featuring an original Duncan Phyfe & Son, rosewood-veneered Grecian bedstead and en suite nightstand and basin stand. A large rosewood-veneered wardrobe now at the Hampton-Preston house in Columbia, South Carolina was part of the original rosewood bedroom suite at Millford, as most likely was an as yet to be found rosewood cheval glass. The cheval glass now in the bedroom is not original to Millford but is attributed to Duncan Phyfe, ca. 1825.
Floor plan of Millford
Wisteria in bloom on the back side of Millford.
Exterior shot of Millford, with the many ornate features of the house’s façade in clear sight.
Dusk at Millford. Built in 1840, Millford is considered one of the finest Greek Revival houses in the country.
Portrait of John Laurence Manning (1816-1889) by James DeVeaux, 1839 oil on canvas
Portrait of Susan Frances Hampton Manning (1816-1845) by James DeVeaux, 1839 oil on canvas
Portrait of Governor Richard I. Manning, 1st (1791-1836) by James DeVeaux, 1830 oil on canvas
Portrait of Elizabeth Peyre Richardson Manning (1794-1873) by James DeVeaux, 1839 oil on canvas
Portrait of Colonel Richard Irvine Manning (1817-1861) by George Peter Alexander Healy, 1861 oil on canvas
Classical Grecian Bedstead Duncan Phyfe & Son, 1841 rosewood veneer; secondary wood; ash, white pine