Over 150 friends from around the country joined us at the George F. Baker Houses in New York City for our annual Spring Patrons Party. Every year we host this gathering as an opportunity to thank our donors and friends for their support. This is a special time where we get to greet faces, some new and many familiar. In fact, last year we had 200 new donors, and many came out for this event. It was especially nice to see a new generation of young adults there.
The George F. Baker Houses were designed by the architectural firm Delano & Aldrich and are comprised of three buildings — the private residence of Dick Jenrette at 67 East 93rd Street, originally built in the late 1920’s for George F. Baker, Sr.; the headquarters of Classical American Homes at 69 East 93rd Street, which was the Bakers’ carriage house; and the Russian Orthodox Church at 75 East 93rd Street, which was originally built for Francis Palmer in 1917, who sold it to George F. Baker, Jr. in the mid-1920’s, updating it with a ballroom wing and central courtyard.
Between the two structures of 67 and 69 East 93rd Street is a small open courtyard on the third floor where many of our guests gathered on this cool spring evening. Later at the reception many of the guests migrated to the drawing room of 69 East 93rd Street to admire its almost cube-like proportions and take in the two story colonnade of eight free-standing Ionic columns on its North exposure and the larger courtyard, originally designed by the firm of Olmsted Brothers. To learn more about the George F. Baker Houses, please click here.